Mumbai International Airport handles a record of 1,50,988 passengers in a single day
- Mumbai International Airport achieved the highest domestic passenger movement in airport’s history
- This is the overall third-highest single-day passenger movement recorded for CSMIA
- 1,50,988 passenger movement on December 10th, 2022 accounts for approximately 97% of the overall movement witnessed during pre-pandemic
- The same day when compared to the year 2021-22, CSMIA has witnessed 140% growth in international passenger movements, and a 26% rise in domestic movement thus, seeing an overall growth of 44%.
Mumbai, Dec 12, 2022: Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA), the world’s busiest single crossover runway airport has handled a record passenger movement with 1,50,988 travellers transiting through the airport on 10th December, 2022.
The above total passenger movement included 1,11,441 domestic travellers and international travellers of 39,547 with 892 ATMs. Please find below the domestic and international passenger data points in comparison from the year 2019 to the year 2022.
Passenger Load as on 10th December
Breaking its record, CSMIA catered to 150988 passengers on 10th December, 2022, the highest single-day record this year. Whereas during the covid era, the highest number of passengers were 73,509, observed on 13th February, 2021. While 1,50,276 passengers was recorded on 20th December, 2019.
In comparison with the single-day passenger movement recorded on 21st December, 2018, i.e. 1,56,329, CSMIA has achieved 97% of this traffic number this year. CSMIA also achieved this year, approximately 98% of the single-day passenger traffic of 152562, recorded on 22nd, December 2017.
On Dec 10, 2022 in the national landscape, Domestic Aviation Operations soared high with 414,114 passengers on 2,798 flights. A total of 5,586 total flight movements and 827,429 total passengers. (Source: AAI data)
Strengthened Operational Efficiencies
In keeping with the above, Mumbai International Airports has initiated ‘Passenger Centric’ Key Initiatives to support growing passenger volumes. CSMIA has augmented its manpower resources with the inclusion of ‘Passenger Service Executives’ complemented with Infrastructural facilities to meet passenger expectations and consistently deliver exemplary service standards.
Key initiatives include:
- Passenger Flow and Queue Monitoring System – a digital tool used by the Operation Team to closely monitor passenger footfalls in Security Processing Zone.
- On ground terminal operation teams are deployed at pre-security check for Security Restricted Articles removal to reduce the rejection rates at Automated Tray Retrieval System (ATRS).
- Staff deployed at the end of the ATRS machines ensure quick turnaround for security trays.
- Terminal Duty Managers are present at security check for managing the queues and to prioritize Senior citizens and passengers with a child in arm in coordination with CISF.
- Given that Immigration and Customs are Sovereign functions, active on ground coordination is done for Queue Management and Resource Mobilization.
- The Terminal operations team are deployed at the immigration hall to guide the passengers to designated counters.
- Customer Service Executives deployed at the curbside for proactive passenger assistance, managing queues at the entry gates and PRM assistance.
- The Terminal Operations team deployed at Self baggage drop kiosks and CUSS check in kiosks to decongest the traditional check in counters. In the event of build-up of passenger surge, passengers are prioritized as per departure timings.
YOUR FACE IS YOUR ID – Launching Digi Yatra soon: Digi Yatra, will soon be available at Terminal-2 of Mumbai International Airport Ltd (CSMIA), where the Digi Yatra biometric boarding system will be made operational at identified touch points and Airlines from 08:30am to 5:30 pm.
This project is led by the Ministry of Civil Aviation and the Government of India. Digi Yatra aims at creating a delightful and memorable digital travel experience. It is a fully biometric-based self-boarding solution for a seamless flow, from registration to boarding.