New Delhi, May 23, 2023: Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals is organizing a B20 conference for the global business community, in collaboration with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) with focus on the Chemicals & Petrochemical sector at New Delhi tomorrow.
The event will be inaugurated by Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers & New and Renewable Energy Bhagwanth Khuba in the presence of Secretary, Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals and various representatives of G20 member countries.
More than 500 delegates from India and Oversees from Industry/Association/Federation across B20 Nations, Government representatives will participate in the conference. Industry representatives from Germany, Mexico, Russia, Hungary, United States of America, Belgium, Singapore, United Arab Emirates and South Korea are expected to participate in the conference.
The aim of the Conference is to improve the safety and sustainable ecosystem for chemicals and petrochemicals industry across the four pillars of De-carbonization, Circular Economy, Biodiversity and Water Conservation. The conference is an effort to promote sustainable development in chemical and petrochemical sector and to deliberate upon sustainable solutions of various issues being faced by the industry. The conference will facilitate in identifying potential opportunities, exchange of knowledge amongst G20 countries on sustainability and circularity.
Chemicals & Petrochemical industry being one of the fastest growing industries, is playing a instrumental role in development the Indian economy. It finds application in providing building blocks and raw materials for allied downstream products. Given the sector’s significant potential to overall economic development and nation building, G20 members have huge opportunities to increase the capacity and capability for achieving ambitious growth targets.
During the event, the discussion will be held on the topics such as Sustainability in the Chemicals Industry; Pathways to achieve Net Zero/Sustainability in Chemical Industry; R&D, Technology and Digital Transformation in the Chemicals Industry and Inclusive & Adaptive Skill for Sustainable Ecosystem.
During India’s presidency of G20, Department of Chemicals & Petrochemicals in association with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is organising B20 engagement on International Conference on Chemicals and Petrochemicals: Sustainable Transitions through Greentech & Digitalization on 24th May 2023, New Delhi, India. The Business20 (B20) is the official G20 dialogue forum with the global business community. The B20 acts as a platform for dialogue among policymakers, the civil society and businesses at international level. It aims to deliver concrete actionable policy recommendations on priority to spur economic growth and development.
Objectives of the Conference are to:
- Create a strong collective ecosystem for compliance and regulatory excellence that can remain as one of the non-negotiable agenda for the B20 members.
- Change the present connotation with a positive image of chemical industry and its products by engaging government, industry, academia, and other concerned B20 stakeholders.
- Promotion of best-in-class smart manufacturing to transform the industry by promoting advanced, innovative manufacturing and operational efficiency to produce better quality products at competitive prices.
The conference will showcase the Govt. of India’s commitment for playing a key role in the systemic transition to circular economy and sustainable development, in which resources and materials are continuously recycled to eliminate waste while creating value for all.
Expected Outcome of the Conference are:
- To enhance manufacturing capabilities of B20 members in medium and long term to become competitive in the global market.
- Making the industry more sustainable by introduction to green technologies to circumvent the environmental impact.
- To strengthen synergy and collaboration between industry and government administration to encourage transfer and adoption of best safety & sustainability practices.
- To envision a collective action plan & strategy for sustainable chemistry: Develop Green Carbon Dioxide (CO2) from natural sources for synthesis of basic chemicals, Reduction in Carbon footprint with manufacturing process efficiency and Technologies for Carbon capture (CO2) and its long-term usage / storage etc.