Udupi, July 07, 2021: Udupi-Chikkamagaluru MP Shobha Karandlaje is all set to be inducted into the Modi-2.0 cabinet.
Though the official announcement is awaited, BJP Udupi unit had wished her through a tweet.
Born on October 23, 1966, at Charvaka village in Puttur Taluk, Dakshina Kannada district, Shobhakka, as she is popularly known, did her MA in sociology and later MSW in Mangaluru.
She was closely associated with RSS from her younger days. While she was working in Manipal, she was a general secretary of Udupi Mahila Morcha in the 1996.
However, her speech and dedicated work took her to state politics. She got various responsibilities in state BJP. Shobha entered Vidhana Saudha in 2004 as a Member of the Legislative Council. She won the 2008 election from Yeshwanthpur and won.
She entered BS Yediyurappa government as Rural Development and Panchayat Raj minister and won appreciation for her performance then.
In 2009 she resigned following political confusion in the state only to return in 2010. She was entrusted with the energy portfolio along with food and civil supplies.
When Yediyurappa formed KJP, Shobha quit BJP and was appointed working president. However, she returned to the party in 2014 and contested the Udupi-Chikkamagaluru election, and grabbed it from the Congress with a margin of 1.81 lakh votes. She won it again in 2019 with a margin of 3.49 lakh votes.
Shobha is vocal on the issues related to Hindutva and the party. While many of the leaders prefer to play safe, Shobha is always known for her straightforward nature.
Shobha’s active political career began when she was appointed general secretary of Udupi Mahila Morcha in 1996. Now she is the MP of Udupi-Chikkamagaluru constituency and has been inducted as the Minister in Modi government.
“We are happy with Shobha Karandlaje being appointed Union Minister. She is an apt person to enter the cabinet,” Executive Committee member and Mangaluru Vibhag (comprising Udupi, Dakshina Kannada and Kodagu) Prabhari Udyakumar Shetty told The Canara Post.
“She is from DK and represents Udupi-Chikkamagaluru. Shobhakka becoming the minister will also strengthen the party in the region. People are happy with her performance when she was the RDPR and Power Minister in Karnataka. Her dedicated work has been identified by the party. Only in BJP, a common worker can be elevated to the post of cabinet rank,” he said.
“Shobhakka’s two qualities are appreciated by all. Her strong voice in support of Hindutva and her dedicated work in the portfolio she takes,” he added.
Shobha Karandlaje’s political career:
- 1996: General Secretary of Udupi District BJP Mahila Morcha, later State Secretary and General Secretary of Mahila Morcha.
- 1998: Dedicates herself as a full time activist (karyakartha) of BJP.
- 2004: Elected MLC
- 2008: Elected MLA from Yeswanthpur.
- May 2008-November 2009: Minister for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj (RDPR)
- 2010: Shobha Karandlaje entrusted with the Ministry for Energy portfolio in the state government. Gets additional charge of the Ministry of Food and Civil Supplies Department in the Karnataka State Government.
- 2014: Shobha Karandlaje wins Udupi – Chikkamagaluru Lok Sabha constituency with a huge margin of 1.81 Lakh Votes.
- 2019: Wins with a victory of 3.49 lakh votes margin, the highest margin ever acquired by a female candidate in Karnataka.