Zika Virus: Dakshina Kannada DC issues guidelines
Mangaluru, July 14, 2021: With cases of Zika virus being found in nearby Kerala state, Dakshina Kannada Deputy Commissioner Dr. Rajendra K V has issued a circular on the preventive measures to be taken by the people.
Dakshina Kannada shares a border with Kerala and many people come to Mangaluru for education and employment from Kerala. As Zika spreads through Aedis mosquito, the DC has asked people to ensure the breeding places are destroyed.
The mosquitos can breed in cement tanks, barrels, other water collection containers, flower pots, stagnant water at the terrace, waste materials, and others.
- A close watch on all the patients from Kerala.
- People should contact the nearby hospital if they suffer from any kind of fever.
- All scanning centers and maternity hospitals asked to conduct blood test if Microcephaly is found among pregnant women.
- Measures to maintain cleanliness and control mosquito breeding places at public places like temples, tourist destinations.
- Ensure water is not stagnant in the drains, roads, and open places.
- As there are possibilities of water being collected in the solid wastes, necessary measures should be taken to clear them.
- Ward Committees should instruct people to convey messages to all the residence to ensure there is no water stagnation.
- Take measures to ensure water does not get collected on the terrace and atop window shade.
- In multistoried buildings steps should be taken to ensure water does not get collected in the basement.
- If water stagnation is found in government buildings and public places, steps will be taken against the concerned persons.
- Gappi fish to be left into the open wells, tanks, and other water bodies.
- Install lid on the tanks, drums, barrel, etc. Water should be emptied once a week and refill after drying them up. This should be conveyed during the ward committee meeting.
- Measures to ensure water does not get collected in the empty bottles of cold drinks kept in front of the shops. If the concerned persons fail to adhere to it, steps will be initiated against them.
- Junk shops should ensure water does not get collected in the materials collected in the shop premises.
- Ensure the breeding places in the construction spots are destroyed.
- Take necessary measures for fogging.
- Mangaluru City Corporation should take necessary measures to spray chemicals to destroy mosquito breeding places for the next two months.
- Take strict action to test larvae at Salt and fisheries wharf, central market, and nearby places at Bunder.
- The circular has been sent to ZP CEO, MCC Commissioner, Mangaluru and Puttur Assistant Commissioners, all the Tahshildars, and Chief Officers in the district.